Visiting the Eiffel Tower is one of the items on many people’s bucket list. When you get there you could either eat at one of the MANY overpriced restaurants which cater to tourists….OR you could stop by a supermarket of which there are many in the surrounding streets and grab some ingredients for a picnic. The Champs de Mars is a large green space in from of the Eiffel Tower where you can grab a bench or a spot on the grass, enjoy a lite lunch or snack and people watch. You can soak up the sun as you see all sorts of Parisians walking by or enjoying the park. Here are the top items to include in your picnic:
1) Cheese – you can find soft cheeses, hard cheeses, cow cheese, goat cheese … just grab a few and see which ones you like
2) Bread – when in Paris you truly only need to get one type of bread…a Baguette!
3) Meats – pick up a selection of dried meats
4) Fruits/Produce – pick something to accent your cheese and wine
5) Pastry – pick your favorite kind – there are hundreds of bakeries within a few blocks of the Eiffel Tower – you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a bakery.
6) Wine – you can either pick up a bottle or mini single serve glasses (thus you don’t need a glass)
7) Chocolate – need I say more?!
If you are like me and don’t speak French, you can just pick a selection of whatever looks good and surprise yourself – you might find a new favorite. So if you ever find your self headed to the Eiffel Tower, be sure to stop by and get some supplies before you get there. I recommend doing this in the early afternoon, so you can go up to the top of the tower after to watch the sunset and the city light up before your eyes.